If there is a shorter way, people would prefer going that way. And sometimes if there is no way, people would create a short cut to get to their destination.
I remember when I was an undergraduate student, going to the market from our dormitory was a very long walk because we have to go around if we follow the road. So, to get there fast and in less than half the time spent if you walk in the right road, we would take the "short cut" by walking along the rice field, then into the canal and go under the fence. Not an easy task though, during rainy seasons and in the evening. But, we did not mind getting wet or getting dirty!
However, Exodus 13:17 tells that "...God did not lead them by way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near" and in v. 18 "God led the people around by way of the wilderness of the Red Sea".
I guess if I was there, I would have complained! Why go to around by way of the wilderness when there is a shorter way? Of course, God has a reason for that as recorded in v. 17.
In this age of "instant" everything, it can be frustrating to wait or take time going round and round. Yet, that's how God seems to lead me. Just when I think I know where He wants me to go, suddenly there are distractions, detours and wanderings in the wilderness. The long way is oftentimes confusing and difficult but it's where I learn more to trust in His leading and not in my own. It's during those times that I experience more of His grace, mercy and provision.
Thank you Lord for keeping me away from the short cuts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment